Negotiations are an essential part of any business relationship, whether it is to reach an agreement, to incorporate a new line of products or open a branch in a new location. The closing of the deal is that moment you expect from the beginning of the sales negotiation, and, if all goes well, it is the handshake that ends the meeting.
If you are looking for how to start your business and prepare for future negotiations, this is the article you needed. Keep reading and make all your exchanges come to fruition!
What does a negotiation consist of?
A sales negotiation is the process through which two or more parties seek to reach an agreement on an issue. Each party has a position and will try to get the others to accept its conditions or, at least, an agreement in which it benefits.
It usually consists of three phases:
- Establishment of postures. Each party expresses its interest and its position on the subject to be discussed, as well as the objectives of the negotiation.
- Offers and counteroffers. The negotiation implies not being closed to any position but proposing viable alternatives that benefit everyone.
- Closing of the negotiation. Reach an agreement or not.
Also read: Success and failure in starting a business
How to close a successful deal?
What you do at the time of closing the deal will be crucial to achieving a positive outcome. If you want to maximize your profits, earn extra money and emerge victorious from the exchange, keep in mind the following tips:
prepare your speech
The closing of the negotiation is a small space that you must know how to read and take advantage of. The other party has possibly already closed the discussion, and the only thing left is for us to reaffirm their decision.
There may be final objections and we have to be prepared to overcome them all. There should be no doubt that the closure actually happens and is a favorable one for us.
Adopt a closed mindset
In a sales negotiation, it is essential that the negotiator have a closing mentality. This means:
- Know what it is you want.
- Know what he and the other party need.
- Plan all movement and action in the way of the negotiation.
- Do not get out of the way of closing.
- Prepare with accurate and complete information to avoid surprises.
- Think creatively.
- Control your emotions and be objective
- Be proactive and honest with the other party.
Put yourself in the place of the other
According to the objectives of the negotiation, there are different techniques that will help us achieve a successful closing. Some of them are:
- Last concession. It consists of closing the negotiation by granting something to the other person, as long as an agreement is reached.
- double alternative. It consists of offering two solutions and allowing them to choose the one they prefer, always within the margin of negotiation.
- Role reversal. The position of the other party is adopted and they are asked what advantages they find in the proposal. This will help firm up decisions.
Take the initiative
There are techniques for closing negotiations that are a bit more direct, and try to push the other party toward a final agreement.
- Accomplished facts: It is assumed that an agreement has been reached and questions are asked about how to put it into practice.
- Urgency: The other party is urged to make a quick decision, as conditions may change in the future.
- Ultimatum: the most extreme form. It consists of communicating that no more concessions will be made and that the last proposal is the definitive one. The real “take it or leave it”.
If necessary, take a break
None of the closing techniques may work, or the situation may not lend itself to a satisfactory agreement. In such a situation, it is best to take a break in the negotiations to encourage reflection and consider the proposals.
Also read: How to manage the debts of a business?
What is post-negotiation?
Post-negotiation consists of putting the agreements reached in writing and having them signed by both parties. It is also the time to analyze minor issues that may arise and, above all, generate a relationship of good understanding with the other party.
Write the contract (and sign it)
It is important that everything discussed and agreed upon during the negotiation is in writing. Words are taken by the wind. Record all the points and conditions, and do not forget to highlight the consequences by which each party abides in case of not complying with what was agreed.
The contract can also establish mechanisms that help to comply with the agreement on a constant basis. A good example is setting bonuses if certain goals are reached.
Polish the last details
Finally, it is possible that last-minute inconveniences arise, or issues that had not been taken into account. The post-negotiation is the indicated space to finish polishing the final details and prevent all the work of previous offers and counteroffers from being ruined.
The closing of a negotiation is a determining moment that involves different stages and strategies, and knowing how to carry it out will help you achieve the benefits you are looking for.